Thursday, October 9, 2008

Pictures!

   I have decided that it's picture time. I'm new to this blogging business, and this is the first time I've uploaded pictures, so please be patient with their randomness (they are definitely not in chronological order). I have more to download onto my computer, so hopefully you'll see all from the last couple of weeks soon! As for now, here are some from the first couple of weeks. Enjoy!

   I thought it'd be appropriate to begin with a picture of a symbol of Salzburg: the fortress. I actually have yet to visit this fortress, but I don't plan on leaving Salzburg without doing so.




   The picture below was taken in a cave where the first opera in German was performed. (Sorry it's fuzzy--I'm the white thing to the left of the big black hole.) 


   It is NOT raining in the photo below! This was taken at the water trick fountains in the gardens behind the Hellbrunn Palace. Centuries ago, there was a prince with quite the sense of humor. He entertained guests all the time and would catch them by surprise by setting something like this off! (The head of the table remained dry, of course.) We were quite wet by the end of the tour.



                               This picture is a view from a fortress (more about that below). 


   Here I am in front of the Von Trapp family house! Yup, this is the house that Julie Andrews danced and sang in front of and within. It's a lot smaller in person--I was told the film crew actually dug holes in the ground to capture shots to make the house look bigger. Nowadays the house functions as a part of the University, appropriately for music majors.






   The picture below was taken at a fortress about a half an hour outside of Salzburg. It was quite the hike getting up there, but the view was awesome. Afterwards, we viewed a "birds of prey" show, which was actually pretty cool. Many of the birds flew at the crowd but didn't touch a hair on any of us. in the picture above, a lady (who is dressed like Robin Hood) holds one of the biggest birds. That bird did very well, considering it had never flown in front of a crowd before.




   This picture below was taken around the second week in Salzburg. We took a bus up a mountain and then hiked down it. As you can see from the weather, I was really glad to have my water-proof hiking shoes. They've served me well here in Austria. (Notice the spout of steam around the top left portion of the picture...my house is very near this! Not to worry though. I live next to a small church, not next to this factory.)


   That's all for now. I'll try and get more up soon!

Hillary

No comments: